High Fantasy

The world needs more YA high fantasy stories.

This fact was brought into my mind by this post: Literary Trends I Want To See In 2012, by Kirsten.

A high fantasy story isn’t a fantasy that’s regular place is on the highest shelf in the library, or even one that is usually read on airplanes; a high fantasy is a fantasy that takes place in a world with no connection to our own.

It’s quite true. That’s why it’s called a fact. Right now in the literary world, a lot of fantasy stories are set in the real world with strange things happening (for example, The Lightning Thief, Rick Riordan), or they begin with the characters in our world, then the characters travel to another more fantastical world (Leven Thumps, Obert Skye). Not enough stories are like Lord of the Rings or the Inheritance Cycle, where they are completely wrapped up in a completely fictional world, with strange races of beings like orcs and dragons and such.

And it struck me lately that I haven’t even attempted to write a story of this sort. And that, my friends, is the reason I’m thinking up a story for one such world. Perhaps this is the wrong way to go about this: writing with the sole idea that it’s in a world that cannot be connected with our world, and no story behind it. That’s why I’m trying to think up a story for it before I start writing. And I’ll need a new notebook before I start it, too.

If I do decide to start this, it will put a bit of a hold on both the Phil Phorce (if I decide to do anything of the sort) and editing Wise (which is currently stopped). But what will happen is I’ll get to put even more excerpts on this blog, as well as add a few good characters to the ranks of the Phils. And I also want to give this one an antagonist, a type of character that I have before this neglected to even think up. Strange, isn’t it? On the quest for originality, I leave out a crucial type of character.

Oh, and in this story I’ll probably leave out dragons, unicorns, phoenixes, griffins, or any other commonly used fantastic creatures. I’d like to make my own, if I do, which I think I will.

I’d include what I wrote yesterday that sums up the state of that world at the beginning of the story, but as you all know, I’m paranoid. I’d rather wait until I’ve written enough so that I can find an obscure excerpt to give you instead, one that will ensure that you have no idea what I’m doing.

And one last thing: if I can get myself a mental outline and a clear idea of what the ending will be like, this story probably won’t end up like Small Minds. Hopefully not.

The strangest thing just happened: I got the search term “4th book in pillage trilogy”. I don’t know what people think, but unless you’re Christopher Paolini, you don’t have four books in a trilogy.

1. Mello

/  March 8, 2012

Really? I never knew that high fantasy was so hard to find…then again I’m still new to the fantasy genre. I’m currently writing a high fantasy story right now. This gives me a bit more interest in continuing. I can’t wait to read more excerpts. Hehe. (^∇^)

2. Agreed.
    Enjoy! That sounds like fun, especially creating your own creatures.
    You’ve never had an antagonist? I know that there’s no antagonist in Wise, but you’ve never had an antagonist? Oh, you’re going to have fun creating one.

3. If you can’t find high fantasy your looking in the wrong place (or US shelving is very different to UK shelving). A tip, look in the Fantasy section rather than YA, or read blurbs untill you find high fantasy, or if you really want I’ll list a load of them for you (for someone who counts (preferably high) fantasy as their favourite genre, I’ve written far too little of it).
    Also Douglas Adams managed a trilogy of five (six if you include Eoin Colfer’s book) with the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy trilogy (of five [or six]).
    The Lonely Recluse.

• At my library there is no Fantasy section.
      And I believe Hitchhiker’s Guide (which I have read) is Science Fiction.

• Fantasy is normally lumped in with science fiction so you might want to look in that bit.
        Yes Hitchhiker’s is science fiction, but that doesn’t change my point that its a trilogy of five (or six)

4. Erin

/  March 10, 2012

I mainly only write high fantasy. And now that you mention it, it is kind of hard to find high fantasy, especially in the YA section. Hm…I’ll have to go check out my library now and see just how many high fantasy novels there are.

5. Miriam Joy

/  March 10, 2012

Books always have an antagonist… They might not have a villain, but they always have an antag, otherwise there’s no story. The antagonist is anyone or anything who stops the protagonist getting what they want – an overprotective parent, a misbehaving dragon, or whatever. Even if they’re not the ‘bad guy’, if they’re getting in the way then they’re the antag. Kristen Lamb has some great posts on the subject.

Sheesh I’m totally blog-stalking you today. SO MANY COMMENTS. I’m going to go away and stop wittering on now.

• Nope. Never had an antagonist… Well, not in Wise. I couldn’t find an antagonist anywhere in that thing, unless you say that chance is the antagonist.
      Lots of comments make me happy.

• Miriam Joy

/  March 11, 2012

I’m imagining you came online and suddenly found loads of notifications and were really excited until you realised that all of them were me ;D

• Well, I don’t mind that. Keep doing it.

6. I have… *counts* …five or so stories that are not at all related to the real world. And one of them has no dragons, elves, dwarves, orcs, or anything of that sort in it at all, either. Another story might have a connection to the real world. I’m not sure if it does or not. A seventh story is definitely set in the real world, but only one.