Once… Twice… Thrice!

First of all, I wanted to call this post The Power of Three, but that sounds cliched, useless, and rather like I’m writing an Avengers fanfiction with only three people on the team– The Revengers Reassemble.

Bad post titles aside, however, this post is just to share a link I thought very interesting: Rule of three (writing) – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.  Skim through that.  It’s quite an interesting idea– that things in three are inherently funnier and more satisfying than other things.  Take, for instance, the comedic triplet I used in the first paragraph to describe my failed blog post title.  For some reason, things in threes work.  No idea why.

Anyway, I don’t have anything to add to that article.  Enjoy.

BONUS PORTION:

There was recently posted on a friendly blog a list of tips from the author Heather Vogel Frederick.  You can find that at the link blow:

Guest Post: Heather Vogel Frederick.

That was really helpful.  I can’t say I really like the author, though long ago I read some of the author’s works and enjoyed them fairly well.  I don’t remember much, but I do know that the storytelling was vivid and the characters seemed real– that was enough to make me pay real attention to this list.  I encourage you to do the same, if you’re interested in writing.

AND THAT IS ALL.

/  November 13, 2012

Hehehehe, “The Power of Three” reminds me of a series I read a long time go . . . forgotten what it was even called now. Evidently didn’t stick with me.

That article actually makes a very good point – putting things in threes is actually a great way of making them more memorable, too! I like them, anyway.

Gonna go poke that last link now . . . schoolbooks can wait to be picked up just a little bit longer . . .

2. Katniss, Peeta, and Gale
    Harry, Ron, and Hermione
    Legolas, Aragorn, and Gimli
    Percy, Annabeth, and Grover
    Leo, Piper, and Jason
    Carter, Sadie, and Zia

No, I don’t think the Rule of Three works. At all. xD

3. seersha

/  November 13, 2012

Just today, I was in class analyzing publicity and my teacher actually talked about that! Well, not really the rule of three, but more specifically how it applies to publicity. It’s actually scary how present that rule is, once you start noticing it…
    Those actually sound like pretty good tips, especially the one for writer’s block… it’s probably what I should be doing right now: trying to write, or at least edit!

4. A note on the Heather Vogel Frederick guest post…you’ll have to highlight the body of the post to be able to read it since it kinda glitched and shuffled over to the side. Just thought I’d mention that to any readers.

…You stole the ending to most of my posts! (i.e. That is all) Outrageous! *scowls and sits in the corner*

5. Huh, I did not realize three was such an interesting number. I even have something planned for my NaNo that happens three times. I guess I’ll see if that works.

Thanks for the links!

6. It even shows itself outside of literature: Judicial, Legislative and Executive.
    To the power of three! (I like cheesy titles.)

7. I misread the word “skim” as “shim”. It was a little disturbing.

I do see the number three a lot… I remember it was mentioned quite a bit in the Percy Jackson books as part of the mythology and whatnot. And even elsewhere. For example, I have three brothers, and the youngest is about to turn three and…oh wait, that’s irrelevant.

• Three is a big number in a lot of myths and fairy tales. Patrick Rothfuss mentions that a couple times in his Kingkiller Chronicles. It’s fun.

• Does he? I apparently don’t remember those books at all. Except random, irrelevant bits.

Now I’m itching to create some mythology that has a different important number… only problem is, three is a very nice number. Two is too small, four is too even, five is too regular, and six has got the same problem as four, and seven is just kind of…big.

• Well, the number three would be a random, irrelevant bit. I wouldn’t be surprised to forget it.

Seven is also used a lot in many other mythologies. Three is nice.

• Ah.

Yeah, I think I have seen seven around before, just maybe not as much.