This is a Title!

When one participates in a NaNoWriMo event, there occurs an inevitable falling out.  The real life social events, the social networks, that one side project– it all falls prey to that monster that is efficient time management.  The first thing to go, however, is the blog.

The reasoning is simple.  In writing these 800 word posts, you suddenly realize that all those words could have been included in your novel– with the same time you just used to write a blog post, you could have gotten halfway to your daily goal.  What’s the point of blogging if it only takes away from your novel progress?  And the blog goes down the tubes for a month.

Luckily, I have stocked up on form posts for you– simply cut and paste the Phil Phorce into the blog and post it, and the blog is saved from dust and decay.  Unfortunately, that means all you get, as the aforementioned followers, are silly fiction posts, which is not my normal helpful stuff.  At least, I hope I seem helpful sometimes.

But now, with something like a seven-day buffer between me and my daily wordcount target, I can spare some time for you, my special followers.  Somehow, I seem to have nearly 2000 of you, and I have no idea what you’re all doing, wasting your time on me.

NaNoWriMo (for it indeed occupies the thoughts of most of my waking hours) is going extremely well.  As you can see from the wordcount meter on the right, my novel is humming along at thirty thousand words on only the fifth day of existence.  By the end of the day I hope to add to that number, but for now, it remains.  As you can also see, my goal is not fifty thousand words, as most people do– I’m shooting for one hundred thousand words this year, on the grounds that it took me six thousand words to write an action scene, and twenty-five thousand words to actually get to the plot I had wanted to get to.  If that doesn’t seem like epic fantasy, I don’t know what does.

The plot is spectacular.  It came together from nowhere just before the month started, and I love it.  I’m now in the second act, so I’m struggling to keep it interesting (and to keep myself from doing thousand-word worldbuilding exposition scenes), but it’s still going strong.  I’m planning a train robbery for the near future, which will definitely prove interesting.

The word war chatroom (see post “Word War Chatroom” on the sidebar) is humming along.  We haven’t gotten more than ten people in it yet, which means that I don’t have to make a new one– that’s good.  However, we’ve had lots and lots and lots of words written in there, and many Les Miserables songs sung besides.  I credit it completely for my thirty thousand words.

Have I mentioned that I’ve got thirty thousand words?  (I’m ridiculously proud of this.  I’ll have to take a break sometime, but at this point I’ll just keep writing.)

And now, with this blog post getting over 500 words, I shall bring it to a close to keep my novel from becoming jealous.  How are your NaNoWriMos going?

1. Of course the word wars are beneficial and have helped your word count!
    And you have every right to be proud of 30k. Some of us have realized that we just can’t do 1667 words a day and you do that amount every 1.5 to 2 wars.

2. erinkenobi2893

/  November 5, 2013

😛 I have some posts all but written up, so I shouldn’t forget much about mine. 😛

3. I think the main reason I didn’t do NaNoWriMo this year is because I didn’t want to neglect my blog like I did last April. Also, I had no idea what to write about.

• Ah. Good reason, although I prefer novels to blogs, actually. And having no idea isn’t good, but it isn’t an impossible barrier to climb.

4. Selsey-Mithrandir

/  November 5, 2013

30,000 words? HOLY PINEAPPLES!

That’s awesome……my brain hurts. XD

5. Nice title. And like Robyn said, be proud of that all you want…that’s incredible.

(Also, I’m back.)

6. Congrats on 30k! So glad to hear you love your plot. That’s fantastic. Train robberies are a plus.

This NaNo’s taught me lessons I didn’t expect to learn this year, such as I don’t like writing what I term “blither” [Blither (noun): Something written just to add words and reach word count goals], and I have way more fun writing about the inner conflict of old characters than pantsing new short stories. Can’t say that won’t change before the month is out, but it is an interesting observation. Perhaps I should just stuff my short stories with internal conflict and actually finish one.

Also, congrats on topping 2000 followers!

• Train robberies are definitely a plus. Especially when the train is robbed– get this– with a deck of cards.

I agree. Blither isn’t the greatest, although I use it unashamedly. I take it all out in editing, of course– that’s what it’s for, anyway. NaNoWriMo is for cheating. (Not really.) I actually find my most blithering self comes when I write about inner conflict– which isn’t good. I prefer to blither about stuff I’m interested in, not about a wimpy character bemoaning his fate.

Thank you!

• A deck of cards? That’s cool. Really want to know how that works.

Writing about someone bemoaning their fate doesn’t sound fun. Whiners are annoying. Personally, I like writing about hard decisions and moral quandaries and emotions. The blithering gets to me when I don’t know what’s going to happen next and I don’t know the characters enough to like them or care what happens to them. (Also right about that point the novel I’m revising starts getting jealous and begging me to put my editing hat on.) I’m hoping to figure out a way to conquer the blithering.

You’re welcome!

• I bet you do. I love the concept.

Whiners are annoying. Especially when they whine to the wisest person in the room, who, being wise, gives wise counsel, and the whiner still whines and does the wrong thing. I don’t really like writing decisions.

I shall conquer blithering as well. We shall do it together!

• DEATH TO BLITHERING! BLITHERING SHALL FALL BENEATH THE COMBINED WRATH OF LIAM THE [insert adjective of your choice] AND LILY THE …. Uh… WRITER OF WRONGS. (I totally just stole that from the TV show Castle.)

On a completely unrelated note, I just found this on Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/260575528413360869/ I may have to finish learning to knit now. The pattern’s even free.

ROBYN, OR ANYONE ELSE READING THIS, IF YOU READ THIS AND FOLLOW THE LINK, DO NOT GO TO MY MISTBORN BOARD UNTIL YOU HAVE FINISHED ALL THE BOOKS.

• That is a very wise caveat, Gwen.

• Oh my word processor! That scarf!

• “Oh my word processor.” That is now my favorite exclamation.

So if it’s a wise cravat, does that mean wearing it makes the wearer wiser? Or is the pattern so complicated and convoluted that one must go through many trials whilst making it, and thus is much wiser when finished?

• *Headdesk.*. You said caveat, not cravat. Please ignore that second paragraph.

• He does not generally like letting people get away with such remarks, Gwen…I figured that out fast…

• I’ll let you get away with it this time, Gwen. And yes, I used a weird word. I’m not even sure that I know what it means.

• Well, I Googled it because I wasn’t sure what it meant, and you used it correctly. Weird words are good, they’re just better when I read them correctly.

• I shall use some of those for cant when I need them! Thank you.

• I need to make a list of my favorites so I remember to use them. Although, thanks to this, I now have a plot jackalope named Enthuzimuzzy Skilamalink in one of my NaNos.

• I don’t name my plot bunnies, but that sounds really cool.

• The plot jackalope is actually a character. In my story world, plot bunnies are actual bunnies. Sorta.

• Ah. That’s an interesting way to put it.

7. Congratulations on 30K!

8. Heh…my blog has definitely seen better days. NaNo (and school…and work…) is currently dominating my life, so I just haven’t had time to sit down and actually write up a good blog post. I had an insanely busy weekend, so I didn’t have much time to write the first couple days of November, Once I get caught up in my word count though, I hope to dust away those cobwebs on my blog and start posting more often again. We’ll see.

Oh, and thanks for setting up the chat room again this month. I’ll definitely be popping in quite often throughout the month.

• You’re quite welcome. It helps me as much as it helps anyone else, so I owe it to myself– but I’m glad you’re getting a lot of use out of it.

9. Man. Not only are you making my word count seem tiny, but now my 109 blog followers is pathetic, as well.

Oh well. My novel is going… eh. My plot is still kinda weary and I’m having trouble connecting with the characters for whatever reason (which is odd, because this isn’t the first novel I’ve written with them, and I’ve never had this problem before). And, to make things worse, I really want to work on a side WIP, instead.

Oops. I’m really hoping I can get past, because I really do want to make my goal by the end of the month, but we’ll have to see. Procrastinating by reading people’s blogs isn’t helping me thought…. 😀

• No, you’re doing really well. You’re a good third of the way to your goal, which is exactly where you want to be at this point in the month. And if you feel like you ever need help, the word war chatroom misses you.

Hmm. You haven’t changed them fundamentally, have you? I would suggest sticking with it, but also trying to figure out what’s gone wrong and fixing that.

Yes, go and write! I don’t need the attention– I have things to write too.

• Actually, I think I might pop into the chatroom later today… it’s a fun way of *cough* procrastinating.

No, I haven’t changed them much. The biggest change is that I’m writing this particular novel in third-person, when I usually write in first… and I think that might be the issue, but since I have three narrators, I’m not sure I can really pull off first-person here.

Yes! Go write!

• Indeed. Third to first is a big switch, especially when it comes to narrative voice and such, but it’s possible to figure out. I hope you get it.

10. …that really is a title? I didn’t notice. *muses*