A Short Story Challenge

Last year, on New Year’s Eve, a couple of my friends and I got together late at night.  We challenged each other to write a short story to commemorate the holiday.  I’m not sure what happened to their stories— mine, I know, is still sitting in a folder waiting to be finished.  Considering I couldn’t think of anything except ‘gravel elephants’ as an idea, I’m not disappointed.

This year, we wanted to do something different.  We wanted to do something better.  We wanted to do something with you.

I introduce my short story challenge.  Any who wish may take the hours leading up to midnight, December 31st, and write a short story.  Only two requirements here: when the new year appears, you are writing; and sometime the next day, that story is published.

The goal here is to write and publish in a short period of time.  This means you aren’t going to be able to edit much.  You’ll have about twenty hours to edit (if you don’t sleep), so you’ll want quality over quantity.  Eighteen thousand words won’t help you if it’s a repetition of your grocery list.  Instead, keep the story short and easy to edit, and don’t stress about the outcome.  It’s a challenge, not a competition, and the important thing is writing and publishing.

Here’s an FAQ, except ‘frequently’ here is replaced with ‘foreseeably’.

What are the time limits?

Publish within 24 hours of starting the story.  If you start writing at 10 pm December 31st, publish before 10pm January 1st.  You can spend the entire 24 hours writing.  You can spend five minutes writing and the rest editing or sleeping.  It’s up to you.  If you start writing early on December 31st, you have to publish early on January 1st.  (If you start writing now, you have to publish tomorrow.  The 24 hour idea is the only timing rule, although I think it would be cool to write as 2015 arrives.)

Is there a specific wordcount?

Nope— you can write as much, or as little, as you want.  Short stories are traditionally between 1.5k and 7k words.  The short story I wrote a couple nights ago was just over 1k, and I still consider it a short story.  If you can slap down 10k in your 24-hour period, go for it.  It’s up to you.  Because of the time limits, however, a low wordcount might be better.  I’m going to shoot for about 2k words.

Is there a writing prompt?

No, which changes the challenge a bit.  I’m not going to give you a writing prompt.  You have to come up with the story on your own, or use an online writing prompt somewhere.  The 24-hour ticker doesn’t start until you write your first word, so plan as much as you like.

Is there a prize?

No.  I will read as many stories as I can, but I’m not judging them.  This isn’t a competition.  However, if anyone would like critiques on their story, say so somewhere.  I and many others enjoy critiquing, and receiving critiques.  If you don’t ask for a critique, I will not give one, and I’ll trust others to do the same.  Again, in all this talk of critiquing, no one will win or lose.  The writing and publishing is the only important part.

Are there content restrictions?

I’ll leave that up to you.  If you feel like your story needs sensitive content, you can include it, along with a note somewhere that it contains that content.  I’ve read plenty of stories that I would not have written because they’re too gory, or racy, or profane— yet, the story needs that element to be included, or it loses power.  If possible, keep things to a YA level of content.  If not, place a content warning.

I have a blog.  Where should I post the link so others can see it?

You’ll have to comment with a link to your story.  Unfortunately, WordPress doesn’t accept other types of link-up widgets, so we’ll have to make do.  After a couple of days, I’ll round up all the links and post them again for convenience.

I don’t have a blog.  Where should I post the story so others can see it?

That’s a bit more difficult, but you have a couple options.  In the right sidebar is my email button— email me the story, with whatever notes or formatting it needs, and I can put it in this currently blank Google document.  No one can edit that but me, and I give my solemn oath that I will neither tamper with nor steal anyone’s story.  After a couple of days, I’ll post that link again for convenience.  If you don’t want my grubby paws copy-pasting your story, LiveJournal has a quick and easy signup process, and the possibility of a public post immediately following.  If you go this route, refer to the question above and post your link in the comments.

This isn’t enough time to write anything good.  Why can’t we have more time?

There are absolutely no stakes.  We’re all writers in various stages of development— posting your work only opens it up to a new audience.  You might have your pet project that you’ve been working on for months or years, but I’m not asking you to publish that.  Just write for a couple hours and publish the result, for fun.  If nothing else, it proves that yes, you do write fiction and yes, you are kind of serious about it.  I’m going to keep my other novels and unfinished short stories in the closet, but this one can have some air.  So… no time for editing because it doesn’t matter whether it’s perfect or trash.  Have fun.

Can I write a poem?

Of course.  Write anything you like, as long as it falls inside the time constraints.  Short stories, for me, are easiest because I prefer prose.  If you prefer poetry, go for it.

How do you write a short story?

Approach it the same way as every other story, but restrict yourself to fewer characters and locations.  Arrive in the story late, get out early.  Make sure your stories have a sense of setting quickly— magic and creature attributes, as well as places, have to be introduced early (“sketched, not photographed”, Maggie Stiefvater says).  If you have a romance, figure out how to show that chemistry quickly, in a lovers’ shorthand of sorts.  Characterize people quickly so we can get to action rather than hear their backstory.  (Much of this comes from Maggie Stiefvater, in her collection The Curiosities.  Well worth a read if you want examples of amazing short fiction.)

I hear plagiarism is useful.  Can I—

That’s all I can think of.  Writing is difficult, but everyone loves having written— that’s what this is for.  Begin the year having written and published something of yours, for others to read.  That’s the essential purpose of a writer, before hooking an agent or publishing a book or anything.  You’re here to write and reach audiences.  Do so, and have fun.  I hope you participate.

1. YES!
    Everything sounds good!
    The plotting starts now… because I don’t have time not to. And after your “No plagiarism rule”… 😉

• Okay, in retrospect, I really hate that winking smiley emoticon. You probably would’ve known I was kidding without that… *sigh*

• By the way, my short story is approximately 500 words and is in the form of a letter and I think I typed it, so it’s probably buried deep in my MS Word Documents. If not, it’s misplaced in a notebook somewhere.

• Agreed about the emoticon— and all emoticons, really. I’m glad I answered all foreseeable questions.

2. This sounds great! I’ll be participating for sure!

3. Awesome! I can’t wait for New Year’s Eve!

I just posted the story I wrote last year on my blog, actually, as an add-on to my post about the challenge.

4. Oh my goodness…as if I wasn’t already busy enough on New Years Eve. (New Years Eve is the day I “officially” started writing, so that day kind of has my own little traditions. Which…mostly involves a lot of writing, so there’s no reason I can’t put this in here as well.)

Okay, I’ll do it. Gosh, I have no clue what I’m going to write.

• Well, don’t stress about it if you already have too much. You sound like you’re almost overwhelmed.

• Nah, I said I’d do it, so I’ll do it. Besides, my “traditions” mostly involve writing, writing a lot, and enjoying the writing—I think I can do all three with this, right?

I already have an idea for it anyway.

• Excellent. Thanks for participating. I look forward to reading it.

5. Ooh! This sounds fun. In fact, I was going to do something similar, so this is perfect. I’m in!

6. I’m doing this. Cool idea! Hopefully I’ll be able to get sleep during the day on the 31st so I can stay up at night and write.

7. Wonderful plot, folks. I’d like to join in, and I’ll be at someone’s party New Year’s Eve with absolutely no one my age to be required to talk to, so writing is plausible (at least in a notebook). I still have a short story I’m supposed to finish for a project, but I’m considering starting that over again anyway so who knows. We’ll see.

Still. Good job. I need a plot that works with the prompt I’m supposed to use…

• I wish you could have participated.

• I did write on New Year’s Eve, and it was a short story. I just didn’t finish it until yesterday, and I had started it Christmas Eve. So I sort of…partially participated.

• Well, writing is the important part. Thanks for doing something.

• Ha. I really don’t think you had to thank me for “doing something,” Head Phil. But all right.

8. Cait

/  December 30, 2014

Have you tried inlinkz.com?? I use it on my wordpress (org) blog and it works just fine! XD Just so you know.

Ooh THIS SOUNDS EXCITING AND AWESOME. I don’t think I’ll be around tho, dangit. I should really try to work more on my short story skills because goodness knows my brain seems to work in 50K or nothing. grr.

• I looked at that. Unfortunately, since I’m still on wordpress.com (despite the .org URL), the Javascript blockers refuse inlinkz as well. It’s disappointing— everything cool that you do, such as Rafflecopter and inlinkz, I can’t. I’m just too lazy to switch to .org, I guess.

The cool thing about a 24-hour challenge is that it can happen any 24 hours. It’s fun to stay up until the new year to do it, but it’s certainly doable any other day or hour. Tell me when and I’ll join you.

9. I’d love to participate. And I have tomorrow off! Maybe I will write something, maybe I won’t. I’ll hang out with my sister. She wrote a short story… maybe I’ll post hers for her… ;-P
    Whatever I do, I’ll link you back to it and tell you what it is. 😛

10. I’m doing this!

11. Rachel

/  December 31, 2014

Thanks for the great challenge, Liam! I was finally inspired to write something again, I’ve been so busy I haven’t written anything in a while 🙂
    Here it is: http://freeandholy.blogspot.com/p/photography-and-poetry.html
    -Rachel (Aylin)

12. Liam: As of now, completed one story. I may write another later on, but Iris gave me an idea for this one and it wouldn’t let go. 😛

13. Here’s mine! http://www.lilyjenness.blogspot.com/2015/01/a-short-story-to-ring-in-new-year.html

This was so much fun. This challenge was a brilliant idea.

14. I almost didn’t make it, but…I did. So here’s my short story, too.

15. Here’s mine! I put it on my blog an hour and a half ago, read your story, and forgot to post here. Oops.

16. https://erinkenobi2893.wordpress.com/2015/01/03/dawn/
    My second short story, featuring Connor Rawleigh and Nat Brachevis, two of my original characters. 😉

1. A Challenge! | Spiral-Bound
  2. A Letter Addressed to 2014, and a Note to 2015 | Ripped Out Pages
  3. What I Learned in 2014 | Spiral-Bound
  4. Welcome to the New Year! | The Upstairs Archives
  5. Nothing But the Tooth–A Short Story Written Really Late at Night | Spiral-Bound
  6. Smile | agoodoldfashionedvillain